About Our Sustainable Location, Growth And Green Practices
In August 2010, Cargas moved into a new office at the former Lancaster Stockyards. The facility was constructed from the ground up with cost-effective sustainability in mind and in 2013 we were honored with LEED Silver certification.
Recently, the Institute for Sustainable Development announced Cargas as the winner of their 2010 Green Plus North American Sustainable Enterprise of the Year award. This is in recognition of our sustainable business model, green building design and vision of a healthier environment for our community and employees.
We are proud to highlight the following elements of our green building design and green living practices.
- Re-Use a Blighted Site: From abandoned stockyards to office park.
- In the City: Close to shopping, restaurants and public transportation.
- Designed for Vertical Expansion: Good use of land.
- High Recycled Content: Ceilings, wall board, flooring, cabinets and insulation.
- Low Emitting Paints and Materials: Better air quality.
- Regional Materials: Saves transportation energy.
- Dual Flush Toilets and Waterless Urinals: Saves water.
- Recycling of Construction Waste: Using 5 dumpsters for various materials.
- Natural Light: Skylight, bottom-up shades on windows.
- Task Lights: Light where you need it.
- Dual Level Area Lighting: Highly efficient, just what you need.
- After Hours Lighting Shutoff: In case people forget to turn lights off.
- Passive Solar: Free heat from the sun (see below).
- Water Source Heat Pumps: Highly efficient and comfortable.
- Energy Recovery Unit: Pre-heats/cools incoming air.
- Energy Management System: Fine-tuned temperature and fresh air in 15 zones.
- South Windows: Lots of south-facing windows to let the sun shine in.
- Overhangs: Let in winter sun, block out summer sun.
- Thermal Mass: Trombe walls store heat and stabilize temperatures.
- 53 Kilowatt System: Generates 64,000 kilowatt hours per year.
- 6 Year Payback: Thanks to PA and Federal incentives.
- Showers & Indoor Bike Rack: Commute and exercise at the same time.
- Preferred Parking for Low Emitting Vehicles: Encourages green driving.
- Green Cleaning: Low emitting, biodegradable cleaning products.
- Filtered Water & Ice Maker: No bottled water or Styrofoam.
- Recycling: Cardboard, office paper, glass, plastic and aluminum.